Thursday, March 27, 2014

Trying to prove that Nebraska isn't a humdrum state

I've been living in Nebraska for the past 12 years and I've always thought Nebraska is at least a little bit terrible. I think this is understandable since I came from the fantastic state of Colorado. I thought it was about time I gave Nebraska a chance and see what it has to offer.

It's okay  that you didn't make the list Lauritzen Gardens, I've already seen you
This meant I was off to Google to figure out what the best things in Nebraska are. I quickly found this link to help me out. However, it seems that I'm not the only one with a low impression of Nebraska because that "article" only had 8 items on their top 10 list. So, I had to make my own list of sites:
  1. Chimney Rock
  2. Lake McConaughy
  3. Carhenge
  4. Sandhill cranes
  5. Pioneer Village
  6. The Arch
  7. State capital
  8. Memorial Stadium
  9. Joslyn art museum
  10. Omaha Henry Doorly zoo
Thankfully, I had already done items 7-10 in those 12 years. So for the purposes of The List, I only had to do items 1-6.

I hit items 5&6 on the way out to Colorado last Christmas, but I hadn't started blogging then. But, to be honest, those items weren't really worth blogging about anyway. Pioneer village is kinda boring unless you like old stuff and costs too much money. The Arch is kind of cool, but again, it's a lot more expensive than I would think.

This past weekend, the wife and I took a long weekend and hit up items 1-4. I'll write up another blog post or two on that specific trip.

Sorry, Nebraska is a humdrum state

All in all, I think I've given Nebraska a solid chance. But, it still doesn't hold a candle to most of the rest of the country. 3 of the 10 things on my list essentially boiled down to "we were important once, remember?". But Nebraska doesn't even have fallen glory, Nebraska was important simply because you had to go through it to get to the other parts of the country. So, while Nebraska isn't as terrible as many people think, it's not a diamond in the rough either.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This breaks my heart, Matthew. Also, you really need to consider going to Memorial Stadium again, and touring the visitor center stuff inside now that it is done. Then again, it's one of those "we were important once, remember" type things.