Monday, June 29, 2015

The Blessings and Curses of the Internet

I needed a break from the internet. I want to do so much in life that isn't Clash of Clans, yet Clash ends up taking my free time.

This graph is from the week before my internet fast.


4+ hours playing clash. 4+ hours on Facebook. Admittedly, a lot of this was while doing something else: resting while weight lifting, riding (not driving) in the car, or pooping.

It was time to see how much it hurt to not have the internet, so I cut all non-work ties. I'll admit, I accidentally clicked a few articles and felt the pull to check Facebook, but overall I was pretty clean.

So, what's the internet good for?

Blessings

  • Podcasts
  • Music streaming
  • Killing time between sets at the gym
  • Communicating with friends/family
  • Meal planning
  • Bill paying
  • Focus at work
  • Rule clarifications for Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Curses

  • Mindless use of social networks
  • Clash of Clans
  • Random Youtube videos

The benefits of the internet far out weight the costs. So, the first morning I had the internet again, I got up, and wasted 15 minutes playing Clash and checking Facebook.

No comments: